[HH] field trips

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 21:15:39 EST 2013

I wrote:
> Is there interest in doing a group "field trip" to places like the above
> mentioned Southend technology center
[...]
> This is a small list, so at best I'd expect 8 or 10 people to express
> interest and maybe 5 to actually be able to make it to the tour. So if
> you have some interest, don't assume enough other people will speak up.

Only one person responded with interest in this idea off-list, so it
won't be happening.

I'll try again in 6 months.

Kurt Keville wrote:
> I can probably invite a number of individuals to my Rapid Prototyping
> shop tours I am putting together at the end of Jan...

That's a generous offer, and much appreciated.

> ...line up some other locations if we get a wellspring for...

Quite the opposite of a wellspring, but the list here is quite tiny. We
really need to see a 10-fold increase in subscribers to hit a critical
mass that would support these sorts of activities and sustain discussion
on the list.

I'm going to try a few things to publicize the list (suggestions
welcome), including mentioning it on the Artisan Asylum list, where
there is a well matched demographic. (The problem there is that this
list has a bit too much topic overlap and doesn't offer a real
compelling reason for that audience to join here.)

If there are other venues where readers think this list would be of
interest, please feel free to post mention of it. Link to the wiki page:
http://blu.wikispaces.com/Hardware+Hacking

where you can also find a description of the list.