[HH] eSATA on an ARM board

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sun Jan 20 02:39:48 EST 2013

Federico Lucifredi wrote:
> I am looking for the cheapest ARM Linux board that includes an eSATA connector.

The $50 VIA APC is the first thing that came to mind, but in a prior
posting I noted it had no SATA port. They released a new $80 model, but
it too lacks SATA.

Checking the list archives I find the CuBox, but it doesn't meet your
price target.

Best I see is a Mele A1000 for $70:
http://www.mail-archive.com/hardwarehacking@blu.org/msg00641.html

The product in the linked article is actually a packaged computer
(enclosure) and instead of an eSATA cable it actually has a SATA drive
dock on its top surface.

I've been keeping an eye out of low cost boards with SATA for NAS or AoE
projects, but as I noted in the AoE thread:
http://www.mail-archive.com/hardwarehacking@blu.org/msg00429.html

I haven't really seen any yet.

The not-yet-available cubieboard:
http://www.indiegogo.com/cubieboard

has a SATA port and looks like it'll sell for $50 or less.

If you can stretch your budget to $55, Micro Center has an mITX board
with a bundled AMD Fusion APU:
http://www.microcenter.com/product/401560/A68I-350_Deluxe_Socket_BGA_FT1_mITX_Motherboard_with_Fusion_APU_350D_Dual-Core_Processor