[HH] cores: AMD vs Intel

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Wed Mar 13 13:47:36 EDT 2013

A lot of guys are either in Intel or AMD camp and many benchmarks will
show that intel seems to do better. For my money, however, I have an AMD
bulldozzer and I think the benchmarks are incorrect.

If you are a gamer, then an intel chip is probably your best bet. For me,
I and quite pleased with the AMD bulldozer over the intel offerings. In
the measurements important to me, hard core threading and processing, AMD
stands up quite well. For the price, an AMD chip is quite a bargain for
servers and processing.

The 8 core AMD chip has 8 real processing cores and 4 floating point
processors. It isn't really really 8 cores, but it is pretty damn close.
The intel chips are 4 cores with four hyper-threads. Hyper-threads are
extremely limited pseudo cores, they are basically a parasitic add on a
single processing core that shares the instruction processor and
instruction cache. Unless the OS does a good job scheduling,
hyper-threading will reduce processing performance.

I am skeptical of benchmarks because they are of questionable value. Some
of the benchmarks are things like:

"media creation" and "office productivity"

In a database, workstation, or server environment, threads rule. The
processing is marginally different, and if you choose your I/O carefully,
cost vs performance ratio is better with AMD.

> Hello HH,
> Any nice comparison of per-core performance between AMD and Intel?
> Because, looking at the FX processors six and eight core prices, they are
> nowhere near what a 6 core Intel chip costs
 so i'd like to educate myself
> on the why.
>
> I have seen this before with the Phenom chips
 but it seems to be going