[HH] cores: AMD vs Intel

Kurt Keville kkeville at MIT.EDU
Wed Mar 13 14:58:40 EDT 2013

I mirror Mark's sentiments... HW purchase decisions are becoming progressively determined by your selection of workload with very little flexibility built around that decision...  the Calxeda description from Anandtech is mostly on target except that he forgot a few caveats...

in many deployments CAPEX is paramount and OPEX matters little if at all... in these scenarios, acquisition cost is deterministic, and most other criteria fade into insignificance... we have many machines at my DC that don't do what we want but they were quite affordable...

For deployments that you actually have to justify the TCO or ROI, I would bet the Calxeda gear pays for itself in 1 or 2 Moore's cycles (3 years), at about which time you are looking to expense your capital assets off the books anyhow... everything is a ratio if you have to make those purchasing decisions; FLOPs per watt or per square foot or per amortized dollar... and then you have to decide if they are "quality" FLOPs or OPs... with ECC or double precision caveats...

one thing I wasn't sure of in Anand's article... he said the ARM Cortex-A15 was capable of addressing 16 GB but the A9 was only capable of addressing 4GB... they are both ARMv7 so I don't think that is correct...