[HH] 3D printing supplies on the cheap

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 18:39:05 EDT 2013

Jack Coats wrote:
> I am looking forward to my 'filabot' ( filabot.com ) to come in the mail!
> Currently their biggest holdup I think is the plastic regrinder.

Do you have your own 3D printer?

(They're getting cheap and plentiful enough that we're perhaps overdue
for a BLU talk/demo on the subject.)

http://filabot.com/

 The Filabot can process things such as: milk jugs, soda bottles,
 various other types of plastics, and bad prints, to make new filament
 for a future print.

Easy enough to imagine a future 3D printer about the size of a microwave
oven with a hopper on top for its integrated plastic recycling
mechanism. All your disposable containers, 3D printed misfires, or 3D
printed goods that have served their purpose just get thrown back in the
hopper.

Presumably, though, the quality of the resulting parts will degrade as
your source plastic accumulates impurities. I guess for applications
where strength isn't paramount, it won't matter.