[HH] Ouya running XBMC

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Wed May 29 20:58:59 EDT 2013

There are probably dozens of videos on YouTube demonstrating XBMC
running on the Ouya, but "Before You Buy" (ep#72) demos it as part of
their Ouya review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=onSp39FKtXY#t=1790s

They show it doing 1080p playback from a BlueRay rip. XBMC had to be
download from a web link and "side loaded," but is expected to
eventually be available in the Ouya app store.

(After having used XBMC on a laptop for about 3+ months, I've become
less enthusiastic about it. The UI is pretty and playback pretty much
always performs flawlessly, which is great, but the UI is inconsistently
unresponsive. It isn't something that can merely be blamed on a slow
machine, as most times the identical operation will perform well. Plus
I'm using a laptop that likely outperforms most set-top-box hardware
that XBMC should be designed to run on. I'd be a little more forgiving
if it at least consistently displayed the "working..." message during
the hangs, but it doesn't, indicating things are stalling in places the
developers didn't anticipate.

So far the MythTV client (MythTV PVR add-on) has also been a
non-starter. Although based on the cmyth library, which comes from the
mvpmc project that I've been using since 2006, in their fork of cmyth
they gutted its ability to deal with older versions of MythTV, so it
won't talk to my older back-end. One of the great strengths of cmyth was
that it wasn't tightly version coupled, unlike the official MythTV
front-end. The worse part is that the developers seem to be unresponsive
on the designated MythTV PVR add-on forum.)