[HH] cheap Android tablets/openstreetmap vs. commercial GPS products

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Nov 25 15:11:52 EST 2013

I've been thinking about the convergence of android
tablets/smartphones and the openstreet map project.  There appear to
be a few apps for Android which make use of data from the openstreet
map project.  I'm wondering if anybody has tried these out on their
Android tablet/smartphone.

In pursuit of this, I'm in the market for a cheap android tablet in
the 5-7" screen size with builtin GPS receiver to use as a dedicated
device for mapping   Probably any CPU/ram would do, but I would like a
lot of flash (at least 8Gbytes) and/or an SD/microSD slot.   The
recent posting about the cheap tablet at Microscenter was interesting,
but it didn't seem like it included a GPS receiver.   Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill Bogstad