[HH] cheap Android tablets/openstreetmap vs. commercial GPS products

Jon Evans jon at craftyjon.com
Mon Nov 25 15:38:41 EST 2013

Almost all Android devices have a GPS receiver, although I haven't checked
the Microcenter tablet you refer to.

I have used OsmAnd on Android (uses OSM data among other sources) in the
past when I wanted to get features that Google Maps does not provide (easy
and controllable offline caching, and real topographic maps, for example).
 I found it to be quite adequate for off-road GPS use, but only marginally
acceptable at on-road routing (turn-by-turn navigation).

If your use case is mapping/surveying or offline navigation, I think it's
definitely worth checking out.  If you want a replacement for a
turn-by-turn navigation system, you might not be happy with the results.

Jon