[HH] Good Quality Usb 3.0 Cable?

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Mon Feb 10 16:10:37 EST 2014

Phil C. wrote:
> The Usb 3.0 cable that
> came with it makes poor contact with the Usb 3.0 jack in my Lenovo W530.
>
> The cable connector seems to have up and down lateral movement in the
> laptop jack, so it is clear it does not fit well and at times causes the
> device to be detected then undetected.

Are USB 3.0 connectors mechanically different from 2.0 connectors? (From
the pictures the "B" connectors do appear to be different.)

If they're the same, shouldn't this be well perfected tech? If you have
a cable that's not working well, I would just attribute that to bad luck
and try the next low-cost, conveniently obtained alternative.

Sadly cables are one of the items that retailers love to mark-up, often
by several hundred percent. Best price is always found mail order, but
then you're stuck buying a bunch in bulk to offset the shipping costs.

As of yet I only own a USB 3.0 flash drive and thus haven't purchased
any 3.0 cabling but I often buy cables from:

http://www.outletpc.com/cables-computer-cables-usb-cables-usb-3-0-a-to-b.html

If price isn't an issue, pick something from a reputable brand at Micro
Center or You-Do-It and try it out, knowing you can return it if it
doesn't fit snugly.