[HH] Good Quality Usb 3.0 Cable?

Federico Lucifredi flucifredi at acm.org
Mon Feb 10 18:36:31 EST 2014

On Feb 10, 2014, at 4:10 PM, Tom Metro <tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com> wrote:

> Phil C. wrote:
>> The Usb 3.0 cable that
>> came with it makes poor contact with the Usb 3.0 jack in my Lenovo W530.
>>
>> The cable connector seems to have up and down lateral movement in the
>> laptop jack, so it is clear it does not fit well and at times causes the
>> device to be detected then undetected.
>
> Are USB 3.0 connectors mechanically different from 2.0 connectors? (From
> the pictures the "B" connectors do appear to be different.)

USB 3.0 connectors have more wires than USB 2.0 -

Early USB 3.0 cables also used a new, different plug on the device side.  The USB A connector is usually (but not always) blue.

So yes, you need a special cable. And there are physical differences, but not necessarily in the mechanical shape of the connector, device-side.

Apple has a nice FAQ: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht5172

Best -F

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - flucifredi at acm.org - GnuPG 0x4A73884C