[HH] X-ray machines & mobile electronics

Greg London email at greglondon.com
Tue Feb 25 13:11:52 EST 2014

I turn off electronics before putting them through xray.

> would like to understand better the failure mode.

I worked on satelite electronics designs for some years
in a previous life. I don't know which kind of radiation
causes which specific damage. But we had to design for
flip-flops spontaneously switching from 1-to-0 and 0-to-1,
as well as any single transistor becoming either a short or open.

You might have a gate temporarily short to ground and
burn out a wire, or bidirectional busses might momentarily
have multiple drivers pushing to different logic levels and
burn one or the other out.

That's at the bit or gate level. How that failure mode looks
at the system level is anyone's guess. it could be anything
from "need to soft reset" to "cycle power" to
"melted slag, try system 2"

But if the device is off when the radiation hits it,
then you can't get any of that sort of behavior or failures.
If there is no power to the system, then a flip or a short or
whatever can't cause a current surge and burn out one of the
metal layers tying the gates together.

Greg