[HH] X-ray machines & mobile electronics

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Tue Feb 25 16:29:37 EST 2014

Greg London wrote:
> But if the device is off when the radiation hits it,
> then you can't get any of that sort of behavior or failures.
> If there is no power to the system, then a flip or a short or
> whatever can't cause a current surge and burn out one of the
> metal layers tying the gates together.

I think the exception to this would be the Flash EEPROM.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php/98219-X-ray-tolerant-chips

http://www.prutchi.com/pdf/implantable/Radiation%20Hardness%20Testing%20Implantable%20ICs.pdf

But the anecdotal and scientific data seem to indicate that this is very
low probability.

The first thing I'd try doing, if you haven't done so already, is
removing the batteries for a period of time, to fully reset the devices.
(Either wait a while or maybe try powering them up with the battery
removed to insure any filtering caps have discharged.)

The next thing I'd try is to reflash the ROM, if that's possible with a
bricked device.