[HH] Your chance to determine the future of HPC...

Kurt L Keville kkeville at MIT.EDU
Mon Jul 14 15:33:30 EDT 2014

I don't know if you have been reading the trades lately but HPC is in trouble. The rate of supercomputer improvement has flattened out, IBM, the 800 pound gorilla that it once was, appears to be in freefall in this space and  you can expect "negative growth" in traditional system sales for the foreseeable future...
http://www.hpcwire.com/2014/06/23/breaking-detailed-results-top-500-fastest-supercomputers-list/

that is, unless, you want to get off your lazy duff and do something about it. The OCP HPC launch happens on the 21st at UNH...
http://www.opencompute.org/community/events/ocp-engineering-workshop-university-of-new-hampshire-21-july
not sure if this is quite "hacking" since this is more of an effort to deregulate some proprietary ideas into the opensource community through an economy of scale initiative rather than legitimizing off-label repurposing of COTS... but I have been to a couple of these and there are usually a lot of good, meaty, breakout sessions...