[HH] anyone have experience with fake flash (microSD) memory?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Wed Jul 16 14:46:01 EDT 2014

On Wed, Jul 16, 2014 at 1:02 AM, Tom Metro <tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com> wrote:
> Bill Bogstad wrote:
>> Tom Metro wrote:
>>> Or do you not trust the altered firmware...
>>
>> Would you?
>
> I guess if testing showed it to be reliable up to some capacity, I would
> consider using it for scratch storage, like conveying an OS installer,
> knowing that the installer did an md5sum on its files before using them.

Using it as write-once medium (with verifiication) might work, but it still
might try doing wear leveling in the background and lose data.

>> It was only because I cared about
>> possibly losing data that I tested it at all.
>
> Did anything tip you off, or did you read about this trend and figured
> it was just a good idea to test your cards?

I think it was mostly that I was starting to purchase a number of high-capacity
and high speed micro SD cards (lucrative to fake).  In retrospect, the
packaging is
a bit odd; but I don't know if it had an effect on my decision.

Bill