[HH] anyone have experience with fake flash (microSD) memory?

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Wed Jul 16 01:02:41 EDT 2014

Bill Bogstad wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> Or do you not trust the altered firmware...
>
> Would you?

I guess if testing showed it to be reliable up to some capacity, I would
consider using it for scratch storage, like conveying an OS installer,
knowing that the installer did an md5sum on its files before using them.

But...

> You will notice that there are errors even in the first
> 8Gig of data written.

...yeah, that suggests it is trash.

> Could it start trying to do wear leveling
> to flash that isn't actually there?

Good point. That might even explain why there are apparent holes in the
lower portion of the first 8 GB.

> It was only because I cared about
> possibly losing data that I tested it at all.

Did anything tip you off, or did you read about this trend and figured
it was just a good idea to test your cards?