[HH] Burn custom art on a DVD

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sat May 10 15:45:31 EDT 2014

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I assume he wants to burn art into a lightscribe DVD.
> -------
> The objective is to burn many grooves on the DVD...to create "test grooves" to
> test various organic compounds using low voltage electricity.

This sounds like an application where they want physical access to the
groves. My understanding is that the "grooves" on a CD/DVD medium are
encased in polycarbonate, not to mention that the grooves on the RW type
medium are more like variances in reflectivity in a phase change material.

Are they planning to use something other than blank DVDs as the medium?
That alone will necessitate custom firmware in order to override the
media identification checks the drive performs.

Given that the drive firmware is not open source, if this is a one-off
application, it likely will be far easier to rent time on a laser
engraver, if you can find one with adequate resolution.