[HH] Matchstick: $12 TV stick running Firefox OS

Jon Evans jon at craftyjon.com
Fri Oct 3 12:03:07 EDT 2014

Just like the Chromecast, and your laptop, and really anything that streams
video over Wifi, the video is streamed in compressed form and then
decompressed for playback on the device.

For example if you tell it "stream this 1080p video from youtube", you are
not actually decoding the 1080p video as it would appear on HDMI and then
sending it to the device, rather you are sending a short message to the
device saying "go grab this video from youtube and play it".  The
decode/render/scale happens on the device before it hits the HDMI port.