[HH] Micro Center stocking embedded boards

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 18:26:49 EDT 2014

> Summary
>
> Dart on Debian on BeagleBoneBlack, plus a Linux HPC update
>
> Abstract
>
>     Brian DeLacey introduces the recent packaging of the Dart language
> for Debian on the BeagleBoneBlack.

FYI, I see Micro Center now carries the Beaglebone Black and has them in
stock in Cambridge for $52:

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.aspx?sku=326231

Interestingly it is listed as the "Element 14 BeagleBone Black." Element
14 is of course a distributor, and not the designer of the BeagleBone
Black, but they're perhaps handling the marketing and retail packaging,
and thus put their branding on it.

The other odd thing I spotted is that Micro Center is carrying a line of
Arduino boards with he Inland brand on them. Inland is a computer
peripheral distributor that's been around since the 80's. Their
specialty was taking off-brand, low-end Asian imports ()more of a rarity
back then) for networking gear and other accessories and sticking their
brand on them. Interesting they they've gotten into Arduinos.

The email ad I saw had a couple of boards shown, starting with a $9
model, but currently I only see one $20 (Inland) model listed on the
Micro center site:

$19.99 Inland Arduino Mega 2560
http://www.microcenter.com/product/431995/Arduino_Mega_2560

A customer review suggests these are Chinese clones of the original
Italian boards, selling for half the cost, but of good quality.

Of course Micro Center also has other embedded boards. Raspberry Pis,
and plenty of other Arduino variations.