[HH] z-wave products at Monoprice

Tom Metro tmetro+hhacking at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 22:17:39 EDT 2014

Ed wrote:
> It looks like generic z-wave products are now entering the market.
> Monoprice has begun carrying a home automation line:
>
> http://www.electronichouse.com/article/monoprice_debuts_slew_of_home_automation_and_theater_options_at_cedia

Monoprice is best known as a source of cheap cables. I've ran across
them a few times, but tend to forget they exist. (I have a couple of
preferred vendors for imported cables, and if I can't find what I want
there, I turn to Amazon.)

Interesting that they are getting into selling unbranded Z-Wave devices.
(Thanks for the tip, Ed.)

The motion detector:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product/?c_id=122&cp_id=12212&cs_id=1221201&p_id=10796&seq=1&format=2

selling for $30 is actually $15 to $20 cheaper than what most competing
units sell for, though checking my bookmarks I see the "Ecolink Z-Wave
PIR Motion Detector", previously the least cost option at $40, is now
selling for $35:
http://www.amazon.com/Ecolink-Security-Products-PIRZWAVE2-ECO-Zwave/dp/B00FB1TBKS/

And HomeSeer, a retailer that usually isn't very aggressive on pricing,
has a "Everspring HSP02-0 Compact Z-Wave Motion Sensor" for $34:
http://store.homeseer.com/store/Everspring-HSP02-0-Compact-Z-Wave-Motion-Sensor-P1399.aspx

The product page for the Monoprice detector says it includes a
temperature sensor, as do some of the more expensive Z-Wave motion
detectors (like the "Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Multi-Sensor", which
includes temperature, humidity, and light sensing), but the product
manual makes no mention of the temperature capability.

The Everspring above includes a light sensor, which I tend to think is a
more practical add-on for a motion detector, which is often given the
task of turning on lights. Though they point out that the light sensor
is not something that can be queried by a controller. It's just
optionally used internally to gate when the motion trigger fires. That
makes it less useful.

Both the Monoprice and the Ecolink will directly control a Z-Wave
powered light, without involving a controller. They'll turn the paired
light on when motion is detected, and then off after a fixed delay (3
minutes with the Monoprice, 4 minutes with the Ecolink; they apparently
don't make this adjustable, as they figure you can use a programmable
controller if you want to do something different).

Monoprice is also selling a Z-Wave Smoke Detector for $50:
http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=122&cp_id=12212&cs_id=1221201&p_id=10797&seq=1&format=2

I haven't gone looking for such a device, so I don't know how unusual it
is, but its the first one I've ran across.

They also have a Z-Wave dead bolt that looks similar to the Schlage and
Kwikset products, and is priced almost the same. And a door/window sensor.

The area where I'd like to see more options is in surface-mount, battery
powered Z-Wave light switches. Back in the X-10 universe they had a few
options that were cheap (both in price and quality), and let you stick
switches anywhere without running wires. The closest I've found for
Z-Wave is this "GE 45631 Z-Wave Wireless Keypad Controller":
http://store.homeseer.com/store/GE-45631-ZW5301-Z-Wave-4-Button-Controller-P939.aspx

which is a bit pricey at $40 each. It does more than is needed. All one
really need is the same electronics in a $8 hand held remote (Intermatic
HA09C) packaged as a normal looking wall switch (decora paddle switch).
Multiple buttons and scene controllers are nice, but often not needed.