[BLU/Officers] Clarification on future InstallFests

Jerry Feldman gaf.linux at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 14:56:40 EST 2018

Let's leave the Flea on the table. Logistics for volunteers with large
loads is not a problem. I am usually the first person there, and I can
usually carry all my stuff in one trip, and I can still walk a few blocks.
I can check with the Natick library staff after the installfest to
determine if they want to do another. Natick has a couple advantages in
that it is reasonably close to commuter rail (about 2 blocks to the front
door), and there is plenty of free parking either on-street or in the
massive parking lot behind the building. The room is smaller but should
suffice. I also think that E-51 is still viable for installfests.

On Tue, Jan 2, 2018 at 1:25 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 10:56 AM, Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> We need to look at the space before we make any decisions. So, let's wait
>> until we visit the space in the next couple of weeks. Also, we need to
>> evaluate whether the Natick location is a good fit.
>>
>> The issues I have with the Flea market is the location and availability
>> of parking. While Flea Market parking is free, it is quite a distance from
>> the desired classroom.
>>

> ​For most of our clients bringing laptops, that's not too bad, and closer
> for things bought at Flea.
>
> For us with gear, we would need to unload in front and go park, taking
> turns watching the gear/room and reverse at end. Doable.
> (Alternatively, we could use carts with streetworthy wheels instead of
> indoor wheels, as i did with my overpriced garage last time.)
>
> I have the wheeled gurney that can be used to ferry any desktops to/from
> curbside or Fleamarket ... i did that at the old Ubuntu UG installfests in
> Media Lab lobby, I called it cURBuntu service :-)  ​
>
> Bigger issue with Flea is whether / how-soon they get space and dates for
> this year  !!
>
> --
> Bill Ricker
> bill.n1vux at gmail.com
> https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux

Jerry Feldman <gaf.linux at gmail.com>
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 6F6BB6E7
Key fingerprint: 0EDC 2FF5 53A6 8EED 84D1  3050 5715 B88D 6F6B B6E7