Simple HDTV viewer?

Scott Ehrlich scott-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Sep 3 12:03:49 EDT 2007

I have a 64-bit AMD system with USB2.0 and I just received my WinTV HVR
950 Hauppauge tuner.   I'd heard so much about MythTV, that I opted to try
and configure it on my system.  I quickly came to the conclusion it is too
much for what I want to do.

I'd be very happy to have an Xterm-size application read the CATV info
from the stick and let me channel-surf cable and/or HD channels in a
simple app.

This will also give me a chance to see if a simple setup (Compaq Presario
with ATI Radeon 200m video card) can work - with video and audio.   If so,
I'd then try it on an older Compaq Armada M700 with USB 1 (I'd get a USB
2.0 PCMCIA card).

What are people's insights/experiences with the above?   I'd like to not
have to rely on Windows for my HD viewing, and I have no plans to replace
any existing tvs.  This can also give me the chance to bring the stick to
friends and family and maybe bring my laptop with me and show people what
is capable - if I can get it to work at home!

I am running Ubuntu Feisty on the desktop - as my main system, I have no
plans to reinstall it.   But I can install any distro on the laptop - it
is my testbed.

Thanks.

Scott

believed to be clean.