[Discuss] color laser printer

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Tue Jun 10 16:55:17 EDT 2014

Lat printer I bought for home use was a LaserJet 4000, back in 1998. Never
had a problem with it once I upgraded it with a JetDirect card I got on
eBay; it still works great today.

I remember others on the list over the years assert that HP's printer
quality seriously degraded in the early 2000's.

On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 4:34 PM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 2:38 PM, Bill Ricker <bill.n1vux at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 10, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Daniel Barrett <
> dbarrett at blazemonger.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I've had good luck with HP color lasers. My previous one, a LaserJet
> >> 2605dn, lasted for 7 years without a repair.
> >>

> > Same exact model here. Bought when it was on sale so not absurd to have
> > SOHO/SMB printers at home.
>
> I actually bought two when they were on an absurd sale.   (The cost of
> a second printer
> was about the same price as a set of toner cartridges)
> Unfortunately, that turned out to be a
> good idea as one of the two stopped working after about a year or so.
>  The other one is flakey
> and often my Ubuntu systems can't talk to it over the Ethernet.   I
> bought a $99 LexMark all-in-one
> monochrome laser (with duplexer) and use the HP so rarely I'm not even
> sure it it works.
> (Note: After 5 minutes of fiddling just now I managed to get a test page
> out.)
>
> Exec. Summary: I wouldn't reccomend HP 2605dn.
>
> Bill Bogstad
>

> > No problems until recently RED is printing brick red not bright red, so i
> > may have a toner going bad before empty, but i suppose it could be the
> > "drum" belt ?
> >
> > My B&W is a HP LJ 1320DN, even older, likewise no problems.
> >
> > The 'N' suffix is important, that means it has a physical Ethernet
> > interface, not just WiFi. I don't want my printer serving as a WiFi
> > intrusion point.
> >
> > Just a few weeks ago, I
> >> replaced it with a LaserJet M451dn for about $350. The
> >>

> > Nice price.  What's the M prefix mean?
> >
> > --
> > Bill Ricker
> > bill.n1vux at gmail.com
> > https://www.linkedin.com/in/n1vux

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / 2013 PGP-Key-ID 0x920063C6
2013 / ID 0x920063C6 / FP A5AD 6BE1 FEFE 8E4F 5C23  C2D0 E885 E17C 9200 63C6
2011 / ID 0x32A492D8 / FP 7834 AEC2 EFA3 565C A4B6  9BA4 0ACB AD85 32A4 92D8