[Discuss] Dealing with Windows 10 after 15 years away

Brendan Kidwell brendan at glump.net
Thu Jul 23 21:08:54 EDT 2020

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020, at 08:23, Doug wrote:
> a few programs you find are necessary to stay
> sane in a Windows environment?

OpenShell. https://github.com/Open-Shell/Open-Shell-Menu

The Windows 8.x full screen start menu was an unholy monstrosity. Hit the 'Start' key, and everything you were thinking about is now obscured by an opaque full screen menu. In Windows 10 it's not full screen, but I can't make sense of all those tiles. The animation in tiles in the Start Menu is offensive.

OpenShell's Start Menu replacement makes all supported versions of Windows draw a Start Menu that's simple like Windows 2000, but contains a search command like Windows 7. Basically the same as Cinnamon and LXQt. I'd quit my job if I had to use Windows and was forbidden from installing this fix for the Start Menu.

Brendan Kidwell