[Discuss] Dealing with Windows 10 after 15 years away

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 23:35:45 EDT 2020

> My question for the group is this: if you prefer life in Unix but need to
> use a Windows box, are there a few programs you find are necessary to stay
> sane in a Windows environment?
>
> From long ago, I recall using cygwin but do not know of its current state
> or value.

Back when I needed a Corp IT Win?? to Win7 laptop to connect to Linux and
Unix boxes (2000-2013), I requisitioned liscensed copies of MKS-ToolKit,
Hummingbird Xwindows, and Putty SSH to make Windows play nice. I'd used
MKS-tk for a decade before that, going back when they were transitionally
shipping both perl4 and perl5. (Prior to that I was an AWK guy.)

I preferred MKS-tk for bash on win because it would let a shellscript
launch windows executables off the Windows path, which was harder to
arrange with cygwin.

With the WSL today in Win10, maybe none of that is needed now, IDK.