[Discuss] System receiving incorrect IP address

epp at mcom.com epp at mcom.com
Mon Oct 12 17:39:41 EDT 2020

On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 16:49:16 -0400
Rich Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 12 Oct 2020 16:09:27 -0400
> <epp at mcom.com> wrote:
>
> > The other desktop (I'll call it Desktop 2.) is not receiving the
> > correct IP address. It, along with Desktop 1 were connected to a
> > T-Mobile/ASUS router that was being used as a switch. Desktop 1 and
> >

> Is this device still on your network and providing DHCP services?
>
> > Desktop 1 continues to receive the IP from the gateway, yet Desktop
> > 2's network connection information continues to display an IPv4
> > address that would have been assigned from the router, had it been
>
> Verify that Desktop 2 does not have a static IP assignment somewhere.
> This could be local configuration or perhaps static DHCP -- which is
> not contradictory. Static DHCP means that a DHCP server always assigns
> the same IP address to a specific MAC address.

Hi Rich,

The router/switch has now been fully disconnected.

Upon a second reboot of the gateway, Desktop 2 has received a new IP
address from the gateway and it was not the same address that I had
previously assigned to its MAC address.

Jerry: I checked the network settings, IPv4 was on 'Automatic
(DHCP)', IPv6 was on 'Automatic' and both of those settings had
always been on those selections.