[Discuss] Virt-Manager

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Wed Oct 20 15:00:07 EDT 2021

I use KVM all the time and manage it with virt-manager.

(1) Make sure that network and disk use VirtIO para-virtual driver, do not
emulate physical devices.

(2) Don't use qcow2, its really slow. Pre-allocate your boot drive:

touch myboot.raw
truncate -s SIZE myboot.raw

The above will let you define a large thin-provisioned disk.

If you have LVM or ZFS you can create a logical volume or zvol, but I
think the thin provisioned "sparse" file may be faster because of the
double caching.