[HH] $25 eZ430-Chronos watch

Federico Lucifredi flucifredi at acm.org
Tue Apr 3 23:11:14 EDT 2012

On Apr 3, 2012, at 5:45 PM, Nuno Sucena Almeida wrote:

>> By the way, since Digi offers all three versions, you want the 433Mhz for US use, or barring that, the 915Mhz one. Thought I'd point out, since Digi does not seem to.
>
> 	The second link has a table with frequency region allocations, but you
> are right, they should be more clear on that main tideals mainpage.

Actually, I should specify this further: 433 Mhz will work anywhere, 915 will do in the US but *may* have longer range - TI doesn't say, but if all else is equal...

So the 433 is the one to go for universality, and maybe the 915 for a slightly better range.

> 	I use other microcontrollers from PICxxx to ATxxx and have been
> following these MSP430, and thought about getting the $5 eval board, so
> what are your thoughts on this watch ?

I have the eval board for the MSP430, but I haven't found the time to use it.  I think that's the bigger bottleneck... there are several very affordable USB-based development options for the MSP430, it is just a matter of having the time to do something fitting the environment, which is not as open-ended as having a full Linux system on hand (like, say, a BeagleBone).  So, I'd say it is good if one has a fitting application for it.

Best -F

-- "'Problem' is a bleak word for challenge" - Richard Fish
(Federico L. Lucifredi) - flucifredi at acm.org - GnuPG 0x4A73884C