[HH] Soldering iron recommendations

Drew Van Zandt drew.vanzandt at gmail.com
Tue May 29 21:54:28 EDT 2012

> For the most part, it doesn't leave me desiring additional functionality.
> I've successfully used it to solder parts with a pitch
> finer than 0.1".

Ah, it's all about perspective.  0.1" is unimaginably huge in my
engineering world.  I'd be talking about 0.03" or 0.019" pitch parts...
0402 package SMT discretes are what I use 90% of the time.  0603 are "big"
SMT parts to me, 0.03" wide at the pad ends.  You can make an entire
circuit in the space 2 through-hole resistors were occupying.  For
temperature control, I find that's less critical - high temps you just do
your soldering quickly.  ESD control at the iron level is nice, doing it
more systemically with a grounding/static control system is also good.

*

Drew Van Zandt
Artisan's Asylum Craft Lead, Electronics & Robotics
Cam # US2010035593 (M:Liam Hopkins R: Bastian Rotgeld)
Domain Coordinator, MA-003-D.  Masquerade aVST
*