LibrePlanet Boston Desktop GNU/Linux Users Group
BLU's Desktop SIG (Special Interest Group)
Meetings are announced on Meetup.com. To see our calendar of events, visit our Meetup page:
We focus on creating a community of users using free software on their desktops and in other non-server settings (e.g. mobile/handheld devices). Our goal is to create an environment that's welcoming, fun, and educational for both non-technical and technical users.
Blog and Mailing List
Join the conversation about free software and using GNU/Linux on the desktop over at our blog:
You're also invited to join the BLU Discuss Mailing List. This mailing list serves the broader BLU community (not just our SIG), but you'll find a welcoming environment that includes users of all levels.
Why a Desktop GNU/Linux Group?
- The argument for free ("free" as in freedom) software is stronger than ever.
- GNU/Linux has been wildly successful in the server market.
- Desktop GNU/Linux operating systems like Ubuntu Linux provide a rich end-user experience on par or better than proprietary rivals in many respects.
Yet the uptake of using GNU/Linux as an end-user (desktop/laptop) operating system still lags. Our SIG aims to end that by:
- Creating a community of GNU/Linux on the desktop enthusiasts.
- Providing a venue where GNU/Linux questions can get asked by users of all levels.
- Fostering free software evangelism. Let's spread the word!
We welcome long time GNU/Linux enthusiasts, those who've heard of GNU/Linux but aren't even sure what it is, and everyone in between. Join us!