Boston area PC dealer recommendations sought

> I'm soon to purchase my first PC, to run Linux and Windows.
> I'd rather buy from a local establishment, if possible.
>
> Does anyone have recommendations for a local dealer who will put
> together a custom-configured machine, at a good price, with good
> follow-up service, if necessary ?

Two that I have bought Linux-related equipment from are:

  PCs for Everyone, Cambridge, 617-868-0068
  Very Versatile Business Computer Co., Malden, carl at vvbcc.com,
     617-322-5172 (*evenings*)

The former is a retail store near Lechmere, and they set up custom-
configured Intel boxes on a few days' notice.  I've been quite happy
with them.  The latter is perhaps the "hacker's choice"; it's someone's
home business gone amuck, taking over the basement and tying up the
phone lines as he digs for prices on anything you want.  The business
hours are a little strange but if you want to buy from a knowledgeable
PC hardware expert, that's probably the place for you, and I've been
very happy having a business like that around in support of my 24hour x
7day Linux operation.

Another business that I haven't yet bought anything from, but which
has prices that will surprise you, is Mainboard of Newton (look for
their ad in Computer Currents; I don't have a phone number offhand).

Comp USA doesn't service their own store-brand monitors (Compudyne),
or even subcontract out the work.  Ever since they sent me to a TV
repair shop with my defunct just-barely-out-of-warranty monitor, I've
taken my business elsewhere.

regards,
-rich