HElp with Linux install

>> From: Ed Garabedian <edg at nww.com>
>> Subject: HElp with Linux install
>>

>> Dear Sir,
>>
>> I am at the end of hope please help....
>> I am trying to install Slackware Linux 1.2.0 on a Packard Bell
>>
>> Pentium  100Mhz, 16mb, 1277.9mb hard drive set on c:,
>> pbcdr-271 cd-rom, set on drive d:
>>
>> I backed up the hard drive, re-partitioned using DOS fdisk
>> to create 1 primary drive, C:, consisting of 300mb.
>> I created a boot disk using the scsi driver set, I created a root
>> disk using the color144 file set.  When I get to the root prompt
>> and use the Linux fdisk, it comes back with:
>>
>> Unable to read /dev/hda
>>
>> I have tried following on line directions found via the web and doing
>> this over and over step by step
>> but now I have had enough and am in great need of help!  I am obviously
>> missing some crucial part and keep repeating the same mistake.
>>
>> Do I need to create a partion for Linux when I re-partion using the DOS
>> fdisk??
>>
>> Can Linux see the entire 1.2 gig drive??
>>
>> Am I using the incorrect drive set?
>>

>> Thanks,
>>
>> Ed Garabedian
>> Network World
>> edg at nww.com
>> 508-875-6400 x446

When I set up my machine, I used DOS fdisk (from floppy) to create three
primary partitions out of my 400 MB drive:

Partition 1: 80 MB: DOS
Partition 2: 300 MB: Non-DOS
Partition 3: 20 MB: Non-DOS

I then did a format c: /sys to create the DOS partition, and reinstalled
DOS/Windows from original floppies. I had just bought the machine, so
I had nothing on the machine yet to backup.

I then booted Linux with the bare boot / color144 root, and used Linux
fdisk to set partition 2 to Linux native, and partition 3 to Linux swap.
It all worked without a hitch.

If you used DOS fdisk to create one partition and left the rest of the
drive undefined, then that might be the problem. Try creating all the
partitions with DOS fdisk and see what happens.

I've cc'ed this to the Linux/Unix group's mailing list; if anyone else
has advice on Ed's problem, feel free to jump in. Ed's not on our mailing
list, so replies should be addressed (or cc'ed) to him at edg at nww.com.

John Abreau / Director, BCS Linux & Unix User Group / jabr at bcs.org
The Boston Computer Society / 101 First Avenue, Suite 2 / Waltham, MA 02154
Voice +1 617 290 5700 / Fax +1 617 290 5744 / http://www.bcs.org