Diamond Viper VLB Clock Speeds

I am a newbie to Linux.  I have been a long time user of AIX and
OS/2.  I recently installed Linux on my machine at home (486dx33).
I think I just about have it going except for one more line in the
XF86Config file.  I am trying to set the clock speeds for my
Viper VLB card.  In reading the sunsite web page, it says that I
no longer need to give a clock speed, as X-windows will autoset it.
However, if I do not set it, starting x-windows burps that I must
set it.  Is there a newer version of the x-server for the viper
than what I presently have?  I would appreciate any help.
For the values of clock that I did try, my screen goes ballistic!

Thanks,

Jim

# **********************************************************************
# Files section.  This allows default font and rgb paths to be set
# **********************************************************************

Section "Files"

    RgbPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb"

# Multiple FontPath entries are allowed (which are concatenated
together),
# as well as specifying multiple comma-separated entries in one
FontPath
# command (or a combination of both methods)

    FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc/"
    FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/"
    FontPath	"/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Server flags section.
# **********************************************************************

Section "ServerFlags"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Input devices
# **********************************************************************

# **********************************************************************
# Keyboard section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Keyboard"

    Protocol	"Standard"

    AutoRepeat	500 5
    ServerNumLock

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Pointer section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Pointer"

    Protocol	"Microsoft"
    Device	"/dev/mouse"

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section
# **********************************************************************

# Any number of monitor sections may be present
#-------------------------------------------------------------
# Monitor Definition
# Monitor ID            5
# Monitor Name:         CTX SVGA model CVP-5468
# Contributed By:       Kent Hamilton <kenth at hns.st-louis.mo.US>
# Last Change:          03-02-94
Section "Monitor"

    Identifier	"CTX-SVGA"
    VendorName	"CTX"
    ModelName	"CVP-5468NI"

# Bandwidth is in MHz unless units are specified

#   Bandwidth	25.2

# HorizSync is in kHz unless units are specified.
# HorizSync may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.

     HorizSync	30-38, 47-50  # multiple ranges of sync frequencies

# VertRefresh is in Hz unless units are specified.
# VertRefresh may be a comma separated list of discrete values, or a
# comma separated list of ranges of values.

     VertRefresh	50-90        # multisync

# Modes can be specified in two formats.  A compact one-line format, or
# a multi-line format.
# ModeDB
ModeLine "800x600" 36 800 824 896 1024 600 601 603 625
ModeLine "640x480" 31 640 664 604 832 480 489 492 520

EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Graphics device section
# **********************************************************************

Section "Device"
    Identifier	"ViperVLB"
    VendorName	"Diamond"
    BoardName	"Viper VLB"
    Chipset	"vipervlb"
    VideoRam	2048
#   Clocks	36 31
#   Clocks	25.2 28.3 110
EndSection

# **********************************************************************
# Screen sections
# **********************************************************************

# The accelerated servers (S3, Mach32, Mach8, 8514, P9000, AGX, W32)

  Section "Screen"
      Driver	"accel"
      Device	"ViperVLB"
      Monitor	"CTX-SVGA"