uucp and preserving Reply-to: how?

> It isn't illegal for me to make up my own language and try to use it to start
> conversations with total strangers, either, but it isn't going to accomplish
> anything productive.  What's the practical difference?

It's not a question of practicality, but of the meaning of words.  The
word "illegal" means against some law or other.  There are no laws being
broken in this case - it's just a matter of the result of using such
addresses not being what you want, which is important in its own way.
That's all.

>  GST> I'm using Smail 3.1...
>
> I have never been a fan of smail.  The last I knew, it didn't even understand
> MX records returned in response to DNS queries...

Smail 3.1 is unrelated to smail 2.n - it's a whole new package, and it
does everything sendmail does, only without all the complexity.  There
are many happy users of Smail 3.1 all over the world.