Linux & Slackware versions

This kind of gets into a "Zen of Upgrading" discussion :)

  I tend to get the most current CD I can find, because most of the software
on it will get upgraded (ie, new versions will appear) over a year or so
anyway, so I'd rather start with the most current versions of stuff
rather than software which is already 6 months out of date. The CDs are
cheap enough so that $40 vs $15 isn't much difference to me. (If you've
ever bought Mac or Windoze software, even shareware, $40 is a drop in
the bucket!) Of course, if there is a cheap solution, like those RedHat
CDs someone mentioned, I'm not opposed to it! Then I stay current on the
software I'm interested in (perl, emacs, Netscape, glimpse, and a few
more). I'm not a kernel hacker, and having source CDs honestly hasn't
done much for me; if I want a new  utility, I generally download it,
because the one on the CD is usually out-of-date anyway. Of course, your
needs may be differenet from mine, so -- as they say -- YMMV.

The two times I've installed on my computer, I used Yggdrasil. The first
time was fine -- this was back in (let's see) early summer '94? Last fall
I wanted to move to ELF, so I got Yggdrasil fall '95. It was not *bad*,
but I think it hasn't kept pace with the other distributions. They also
pissed me off, because after I had installed, and spent a couple of days
compiling new software, they announced a new bug fix distribution, and
talked about all the bugs in the version I had installed. Sigh. They did
send me the bug fix CD for free, but I would much rather had them
release a better CD and wait a little longer for it. If I install again
(I don't really see the need to), I'd probably go with RedHat, I've heard
lots of good things about them.

			Peter

Peter Breton  pbreton at cs.umb.edu          PGP key by finger
Shave the whales!