Cyric CPU's

Rodney Thayer wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

 RT> My experience with Cyrix is that if you call them as a
 RT> software developer they are arrogant and also oh by the way
 RT> imply they are revising their chips all the time.  Their
 RT> idea of solving compatability problems is "tell the end user
 RT> to go trade in their motherboard, the next one is sure to
 RT> have a newer rev. chip, we rev. the chip all the time".

 RT> So if you have a motherboard with a Cyrix chip, learn how to
 RT> pull it and put in another CPU.

 RT> No, I don't love Intel, in fact I am rather militant about
 RT> being anti-monopoly if I have the opportunity, so for
 RT> example I would be happy to try to use an IBM, or an AMD or
 RT> one of these other x86x chips, I just don't do
 RT> vendor-with-attitude-problem.

I can tell you that my experience is completely opposite to yours.  Cyrix has
been unfailingly helpful in supporting their chips, and has been willing to
send out anything I wanted.  Certainly, Cyrix has been more forthcoming with
engineering information than Intel in my personal experience.  It's too bad I
don't like the 6x86, because I do like the company.

-- Mike