Linux installation: Second Ethernet interface ...

Jerry Feldman wrote in a message to Mike Bilow:

> You have me completely mystified.  I have no idea what the
> "control panel" is -- at least not in Linux.  Usually, configuration
> of network hardware is done through the command line.

 JF> Red Hat does have an X based control panel. The control panel
 JF> is normally  activated when one logs in as root from the XDM
 JF> login window.

Interesting.  I guess Red Hat has changed a few things since I last tried it. I
am not sure how much I would trust GUI network configuration, especially since
all it would do is write text configuration files.  I remember the tool for
this on SCO, and I used to give up fairly quickly and just edit the text files
to get the job done faster.  The problem is usually that the GUI tool has to be
able to read the text configuration files to determine the currently configured
state, and it only understands so much.

-- Mike