redhat 6.0 issues

<reposted by postmaster at blu.org>
On Sun, 9 May 1999, Brian Conway wrote:

dogber> I've run into a few problems compiling certain packages
dogber> under redhat 6.0 that compiled fine under 5.2, such as
dogber> bind8.12, bind8.2, ssh, and samba. All the problems appear
dogber> to be code-related, though they all compiled fine under
dogber> 5.2.  Here is a sample from the bind8.2 output:
dogber>
dogber> make[2]: Entering directory `/src/bin/addr'
dogber> gcc  -O -g -I../../port/linux/include -I../../include  -c addr.c
dogber> In file included from addr.c:34:
dogber> ../../port/linux/include/port_after.h:68: redefinition of `struct
dogber> in6_addr'
dogber> ../../port/linux/include/port_after.h:69: warning: no semicolon at end of
dogber> struct or union
dogber> ../../port/linux/include/port_after.h:69: parse error before `.'
dogber> ../../port/linux/include/port_after.h:73: redefinition of `struct
dogber> sockaddr_in6'
dogber> make[2]: *** [addr.o] Error 1
dogber> make[2]: Leaving directory `/src/bin/addr'
dogber> make[1]: *** [addr] Error 2
dogber> make[1]: Leaving directory `/src/bin'
dogber> make: *** [all] Error 2
dogber>
dogber> All the various packages tend to have similar outputs.  I
dogber> made sure cc is linked to gcc.  Any ideas on whether
dogber> there's some known problem or perhaps some library update
dogber> that I haven't grabbed?  I have found the rpms for the
dogber> various packages that I need, but such errors really
dogber> shouldn't show up.

Yes they should.  Red Hat 6.0 includes glibc 2.1, a somewhat major update
to the C library.  There are many new features included in glibc 2.1, such
as Unix98 ptys, UTMPX, and ipv6 that glibc 2.0 does not have.  Many
packages had their own support for some of these features for use with
glibc 2.0.  Now that 2.1 has these new features, there are conflicts.

ssh has problems with UTMP handling due to the changes in glibc 2.1 for
UTMPX.  bind has problems with ipv6 since glibc 2.1 now has ipv6 support.
These packages will have to be ported to glibc 2.1.  Until then, binaries
compiled under glibc 2.0 might work fine under 2.1.  For instance, I have
used ssh-1.2.26 RPMS compiled on Red Hat 5.2 just fine on 6.0.

Charles R. Anderson

-