IP Masq on Slackware 4.0

Boy, what timing. I am having the exact same problem with RH6. I set up
a small LAN (with Glen Burkhardt's help) over the weekend. All of the PC
clients running Windows 9* can connect to the RH6 server to accomplish
file sharing and print sharing services. The linux box I have is
assigned the IP 192.168.1.100. All of the windows clients have
192.168.1.100 in as their gateway for their TCP/IP settings, and the DNS
settings are set to use our ISP's nameservers.. I connect the linux box
via PPP to our local ISP. After the connection is established, if I run
ifconfig, I see eth0, lo, and ppp0, all seemingly up and running fine.

The problem comes trying to use ipchains to allow packet forwarding. I
can't get it up and running. Is there anyone who has IPCHAINS actually
doing any work? I' beat my head against the wall all day yesterday
trying to get it to work. I have a feeling I;m missing something simple.

One the ppp connection is up I use:

ipchains -A forward -j MASQ -s 192.168.0.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0
and
ipchains -A input -j ACCEPT -i ppp0 -s 192.168.1.0/24 -d 0.0.0.0/0

Any ideas????? I'm getting to the end of my rope....

TIA,
Phil Buckley

-