ppp & mail

On Thu, 14 Oct 1999 pfarrar at learningco.com wrote:

>      Sending mail, however, is not so smooth.  Mail leaves my box with the
>      machine name and no domaine.

A quick search through sendmail.org (I'm assuming that you're using
sendmail) comes up with a link of
http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section4.html#4.12 for the topic 'Subject:
Q4.12 -- How can I batch remote mail to be sent using my ISP while
delivering local mail immediately?'

If the domain name is all that's at issue, either look into what your
hostname is set to, or look at
http://www.sendmail.org/m4/masquerading.html, which tells you how to set
up sendmail to pretend to be someone else (useful for @companyname.com
addresses as well).

>      I would like to send my mail from my machine, but through my school
>      account.  I hear people in Mac and Windows world do this all the time
>      with Outlook and Eudora, etc.  I like Pine.  Can I send my mail back
>      through my mail server at school, so I become
>      pfarrar at lynx.dac.neu.edu, instead of pfarrar at box ?

Have you given any thought to the idea of using pine or mutt or whatever
in IMAP mode?  This keeps the mail on the remote machine, but displays it
locally.  This would negate the need to use fetchmail, but the flip side
is that you won't have your mail locally.

Either way, you can probably set up pine or mutt or whatever to use a
different smtp server and a different from address/sender address/user id,
but again that will only work while you're online.

HTH,
--Mark

-