Mouse config problem (was Re:Looking for assistance) (fwd)

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999, John Abreau wrote:

> From: Pierce C. Barnard <pbarnard at ultranet.com>
>
> Hi, I recently obtained Redhat V6.0 and installed it on an old pc that I
> have.  I got everything to work, except the mouse.  For some reason it
> keeps on going into the upper-right hand corner of the screen.  I opted to
> use KDE as my desktop.  Can you help me?  Thank you.

   This may sound too simple, but are you using the right protocol setting
for the mouse you have?  I've seen strange behaviors come from, say,
choosing the "Generic 2-button" setting for a Logitech 3 button mouse.
   That's probably not the problem, but it's easy enough to check.  I'd
just rerun Xconfigurator and select the closest match to the right mouse.

   If it's a serial mouse, I'd also be looking for other devices trying to
use the same interrupt.  It's not uncommon to have a mouse on ttyS0 and a
modem on ttyS2, both using IRQ 4.  That will DEFINATELY cause problems.

Matthew J. Brodeur, mbrodeur at NextTime.com
Hostmaster, Webmaster for NextTime.com, NextTime.org
http://www.NextTime.com

-