Home pages for regular users

Subba Rao asked:

	I have the Apache web server running on my system. Right now, I have
	only global CGI and HTML files. They are in /var/lib/apache/

	How can my other users on this system, have their own web pages?
	I want them to have their own directories and HTML documents (in their
	$HOME directories). I may allow simple CGI programs.

	How can this be achieved? Any pointers appreciated.

Conventionally, the URL "http://host.name/~user/"; is mapped onto  the
directory  "~user/public_html".   This  is  done in one of the apache
config files. On my machine, it is in /usr/local/apache/etc/srm.conf,
and the appropriate entries are:

	# UserDir: The name of the directory which is appended onto a user's home
	# directory if a ~user request is recieved.
	UserDir public_html
	<Directory /u/home/*/public_html>
	Options +Indexes
	</Directory>

You may want to add other options by default, but +Indexes should at
least be turned on.

(You might also want to correct the spelling error  in  the  comment,
but that's not necessary to make it work ;-)

-