Samba and kernel options

> The goal for me is to use the NT systems local printer, CD-R and scanner
> devices. The SMB documents talk a lot about the Client and Server.
> The source I have downloaded will create a smbd and nmbd.
>
> 1. Do I need anything running on the NT?

Nope.  You just need windows local network support (network
neighborhood, etc) up and running.  If you can share between NT boxen or
Win98 correctly, then you should be fine.

> 2. Do I need any special options in the kernel compile to be turned on?

No, but if you want to be able to use smbmount, which I have found to be
_invaluable_, you need SMBFS filesystem support compiled into the
kernel.  This also requires a ./configure option, as it is only
supported under linux.

Brian J. Conway
dogbert at clue4all.net

You wouldn't buy a car that would break down every morning on your way
to work.  Why would you use an operating system that does the same?
                -- Anonymous Coward
-