Samba checklist...

It sounds as if you need to sort out general Linux connectivity first and
then deal with Samba. Try a ping to loopback (127.0.0.1); if that doesn't
work, the stack is not working. Also, you don't indicate whether you're
pinging an IP address or a hostname; if the latter, try the former. Also,
try the various online resources for Linux networking. Also, reinstalling
from scratch (especially if things are all screwed up by attempts to make
things work) is sometimes helpful (though not always practical I suppose).

As for cards, I can't make any general recommendations, but you can buy
"standard" ones from any computer store, online from any computer vendor,
or even at Staples.

Finally, "reply" to discuss at BLU.org messages replies only to the original
sender; reply to all gets the original sender + discuss at blu.org to make
sure followups go to the list.

hope that helped
-pl

At 04:03 PM 12/9/99 -0500, Kevin M. Gleason wrote:
>Tried going there and got some good advice only....can't ping my Linux
>machine from itself. I've swapped out cards and still can't. I did a
>reinstall and can get none of my cards to get recognized (guess they never
>did). What card would you suggest, low cost, readily available? Where get?
>
>Kevin
>
>Pete Loshin wrote:
>
>> At 07:32 AM 12/9/99 -0500, Kevin M. Gleason wrote:
>> >Does anyone have or know of a checklist of steps to install samba in an
>> >internal LAN? ...
>>
>> Try this site, he's got a .pdf of a very helpful Samba cookbook:
>>
>> http://members.xoom.com/dansgold/

| Pete Loshin                    http://Internet-Standard.com |
| _IPv6 Clearly Explained_ Morgan Kaufmann January 1999       |
| _TCP/IP Clearly Explained_ 3rd ed Morgan Kaufmann June 1999 |