Samba and firewall in the same box?

It'll work fine.  Probably, don't count on running X for an extended period
(although you might be surprised there, too!  My X server is large at the
moment, about 35mb with 18mb in RAM, but I've been web surfing for quite
awhile today.  xterm's take about 4mb to run, with 900k RSS).

I've just set this all up here at the office, for a demand dial PPP link,
and local DNS services.  Your proposed setup is even simpler.  I've been
using P166 with 32mb RAM and a 1gb disk.  It mostly idles its time away...

-