GNU -- G'no way...

A zillion years ago, RMS wrote:

> >   GNU, which stands for Gnu's Not Unix, is the name for the complete
> >   Unix-compatible software system which I am writing so that I can give it
> >   away free to everyone who can use it.  Several other volunteers are
> >   helping me. Contributions of time, money, programs and equipment are
> >   greatly needed.

to which Matthew Galster responded *today*:

> "...which I am writing...."  ahem.

C'mon, show a little respect for your elders. :-) Oh, and for history.

Remember that when RMS wrote these words a computer cost Real Money (tm),
and you didn't get to hack unless you worked for someone who paid the
power, AC, maintenance and (yes) software bills. Not many people could
possibly write code for free; RMS had a track record as one helluva hacker,
and this was a seriously radical act. He *did* write a lot of the GNU code.

Did Linus write all of Linux? Does he get the credit, at least in the
popular press?

And RMS *did* mention that:

> >   Several other volunteers are helping me. Contributions of time,
> >   money, programs and equipment are greatly needed.

Thanks, RMS, for making Linux possible.

-- Jerry "happy free software consumer" Callen
-