touch command...

The touch command is very useful in some cases, such as in a development
environment when you want something like make to rebuild. It is also useful
for archival reasons. Some examples might be,
in development when I want to do a make depend type of operation, I might
touch a file in a directory, say the .depend file. Let's say I am on a time
sharing system and I have a file in /tmp which I want to keep there. I can
touch it daily. Or, I might have a script that does incremental backups:
find . -newer .lastback -exec add-file-to-archive {} \;
if [[ success ]] then
	touch .lastback
fi
The above script finds all files that are more recent than the file,
.lastback. If the operation was successful then it touches the .lastback
file.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group