Keyboard/monitor/mouse switches

   Let's see if I can answer both.

   1. Not usually.  The better electronic switches will emulate devices on
the unused ports.  This allows a system to think it always has the KVM
attached, so it doesn't complain on boot, or in the case of a Sun, switch
to a serial console.  These switches also do a much better job of
switching between machines cleanly.
   I don't remember the name, but I've used kits from Micros Northeast in
Woburn that were about $150/ea.  That included the 4 way switch and cables
for each port.

   2. Yes, but I don't know exactly how.  AFAIK the problem comes from the
fact that either the rotary switch isn't a true break-before-make, or that
it doesn't switch all of the contacts at the same time.  Some boxes have a
"RESET" switch on them which has the effect of disconnecting everything
momentarily. That seems to work.
   The only solution for those of us stuck with a manual switch (and it's
probably not a great idea), is to turn the knob slowly enough that the
devices reset properly.  It works, but if you're able to get an electronic
switch, I would.  PS/2 devices are not supposed to be hot-plugged anyway
(or so I've been told).

Matthew J. Brodeur, mbrodeur at NextTime.com
Hostmaster for NextTime.com
http://www.NextTime.com

-