Linksys PCMCIA 10/100 card

On Thu, 10 Aug 2000, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> it appears that I am only getting half duplex 10Mbps between my
> desktop machine and my laptop. Both have 100M cards.

This is completely hearsay, and someone else *please* correct me if I'm
wrong, but...

I was once told that PCMCIA cards are enough hardware to get the signals
converted to an easy-to-compute form (analog phone -> digital, ethernet
signal -> digital), and that all of the other intelligence normally
associated with a card is instead put upon the controlling computer.  For
lack of a better analogy, it's the winmodems, but better documented.

So, if this is true, might your laptop either not support the full 100
FDX, or might the processor be bogged down by something else (say,
seti at home?) enough to slow performance?

Trying to figure things out,
--Mark Donnelly

-