VB and 4th?

jc at trillian.mit.edu wrote:

>          BTW, I use bash scripts a LOT in my work, and quite
>          productively, but please, let's not reopen that my-approach-
>          to-scripting-is-better-than-yours can'o'worms since it's
>          already been firmly established that Visual Basic is the
>          hands-down, undisputed winner, with Forth being a close
>          second and all other contenders left in the dust...  ;->
>
> No; let's reopen it. ;-) To be more specific, where can we get VB and
> 4th for linux, the various BSD clones, Solaris, and so on?

To say that any one scripting language is the undisputed winner,
or any language period is best for that matter is nonsense. Any
good programmer just like any good mechaninc uses the right tool
for the job. For example, if you have to alter the way a *nix
system boots, you better use bourne shell. If you need a utility
for parsing through large log files, use Perl. If you want
portability with a GUI, use java or Tcl/Tk. If you want to
connect to a database for building dynamic web content, use PHP.
Use the best tools for the job and the environemt you are working
in, along with the purpose of the application.

Every problem can not be solved with the same tool. In the end
almost all of the engines are written in C or sometimes C++ these
days. If I had to say that any one language was best ......  C.
You can write almost anything in C including a new scripting
language if none of the thousands available fit your needs!

--
Tom Guilderson
-