Fonts on linux

On Tue, 31 Oct 2000, Ziad Ghafour wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I just installed linux RH6.2 on my PC (HP), using Sony  15sf Monitor.
> when I try to run "startx", the fonts are so large, any idea how can I
> fix this?

Run it at a higher resolution if your video card and monitor will support
it.  Otherwise you need to buy a better video card and/or monitor!

O.k. there is another answer though, but the answer depends on what fonts
you're talking about.  Is it fonts in a particular application, or ALL
fonts?  If it's all fonts, the above really is your best answer.

You can also control what font is displayed on a per-application basis, in
one of two ways.  Some applications have a font selection dialog off of
their menu bar, usually under the Options menu.  You'll have to fiddle
with your particular application to figure that one out.

You can also choose the font using X resources.  I'm not going to go too
deeply into this, because it's VERY complicated.  But as an example, if
you're running xterm and the default font is too large,  edit your
.Xdefaults file and add/change this entry:

  XTerm.font:  6x12

This will only work if you are using xterm or one of its derivitives; i.e.
if you are using gnome-term or Kconsole, it probably will do nothing.
But those programs have font menus on their menu bars.

You can do this for most X Window System applications, though the
resources vary greatly from app to app.  You can often also change colors
of things this way, but like I said, it's complicated.  If you want to
learn more, go pick up a book on using X.

A good starting point for getting the trick of resources is to read the
RESOURCES section of the xterm(1) man page... it won't tell you how to do
everything that you can do, but it will give you an idea of the type of
things you can do with resources.

--
Derek Martin
Senior System Administrator